I’ve been living with Alexander Wang, the bag that is, for about three months now and I finally feel like I can give an accurate review of this bag. Let me get straight to the point, it is well worth the money…Sometimes I feel like you really have to live with a bag before you can judge whether or not it works for you. A quick glance in a department store doesn’t always suffice so here are my thoughts on the Alexander Wang Rocco handbag:
- It is simultaneously chic and edgy. The studs on the bottom of the handbag make it edgy and the quality of the leather makes it chic.
- The bag is huge, therefore, you could carry an iPad, wallet, makeup bag, cell phone and a bunch of other things in this handbag. There are three pockets on the inside: one large one that zips and two smaller open pockets on the opposite side. These side pockets make it easy to locate your keys or cell phone so that those sorts of items don’t get lost inside the bag (hate when that happens). There are also two smaller pockets on the front of the bag (pictured above) that are great for hiding things from yourself.
- The pebbled leather is to die for…
- I love the matte black hardware on this handbag because it makes this Wang timeless. I’ve seen other metals on other Rocco bags and I feel like they are very trendy (i.e. the rose gold hardware), which may or may not be a trend that sticks around.
- The handbag is black (obviously) so it practically goes with everything and can be worn all year around. And because the hardware is all black you don’t have to worry about mixing metals (I used to be very rigid about all the metals on my accessories matching perfectly so I understand if this a concern for someone).
- You can carry this bag three ways: on your shoulder, across your body or on your forearm. I like to alternate.
- It’s different. I have only actually seen one other person with this bag. Beats that Louis Vuitton Speedy that I wish would die and never come back (Seriously, I am so tired of seeing chicks with that bag!).
- Just because you can fit a million and one things in this bag does not mean that you should! The studs on the bag are a little heavy and if you add a lot of things to your handbag you will have difficulty carrying it (especially if you are going some place like the mall or a museum, for instance, where you will be carrying it the entire time you are out).
- The only other thing that I have noticed, and I don’t know if this is an issue with other Wang metals, is that the black hardware (and I’m referring to the studs on the bottom) can get scratched so be careful where you place your bag. I know that sounds ridiculous, and no one would notice this but you, however, I would feel bad if I didn’t tell you the entire truth.
- The price tag…Lol…No explanation needed.
Here are some more images of the satchel:
Overall, I think this handbag is well worth the investment. If you are considering buying one I have a handful of suggestions (and these suggestions can apply to any handbag purchase, really):
- Go see the handbag in person. Do not blindly buy it online unless you have already investigated it in person on a separate occasion. Considering the price (retails for $875) you need to get a feel for how the bag is going to look and feel when you are carrying it. Keep in mind that some bags look different on display as opposed to real life. The stuffing can really alter the shape of a bag.
- Make sure the bag matches your style. I know that sounds crazy but its true. You need to try the bag on, see if it looks like you. Live with the bag for a little bit.
- Don’t impusively purchase. Walk away from the bag, and if you find that you can’t stop thinking about it, and it meets all of your standards then buy it. Walking away from the bag initially will allow you some time to think about whether you REALLY want it. This will save you from buyer’s remorse. If you forget about it then its possible that you don’t really want or need it.
- Enjoy it! Buying and wearing accessories are meant to be fun! Adding another piece to your wardrobe, especially if it fits your look, should be exciting.
Okay, I know that was a lot but I hope you all got something out of this post. If you want more information on how to choose the right handbag for you, check out my post on that topic here.